[News] [Rival] Big Companies to Forbid Consumer's Backup, Blame Piracy

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Big Companies to Forbid Consumer's Backup, Blame Piracy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:07:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Proposed Amendment Would Ban All DVD Copying

,----[ Quote ]
| A proposed amendment to the current copy protection license governing
| DVDs would completely ban all DVD backups, and prevent DVD playback
| without the DVD disk being present inside the drive.

Boosting profits by setting expiry date on content (see bottom).

[Canadian] Industry Committee Demands a Canadian DMCA

,----[ Quote ]
| While it may not accept all the recommendations, this report
| dramatically escalates the pressure for one-sided copyright reforms
| that mirror DMCA-style laws.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2049/125/

Related:

Feeding Frenzy: Digital Rights Management is really just an ecosystem for
selling our own stuff to us again and again.

,----[ Quote ]
| And into this confluence of greed and shared interest strides
| Microsoft and Bill Gates promising a technical solution that
| gives every potential partner exactly what they want. Content
| owners get a chance to sell everything over again and this time
| they'll be supposedly protected from piracy. Everyone will have
| to buy a new TV with an HDMI connector as well as all new video
| and stereo components of every type, just so long as they, too,
| use strictly HDMI connections. Problems of deliberate signal
| degradation and driver horrors will make all video cards and
| most processors obsolete, so we'll have to buy all new PCs. Mr.
| Gutmann characterizes this lack of backward compatibility or any
| shred of technical elegance as suicidal on Microsoft's part when,
| in fact, it is Microsoft's best imitation of brilliance. Intel and
| AMD love it. ATI and nVidia love it. Thomson and Philips and Sony
| and Matsushita and Samsung and LG love it. Every movie studio, TV
| network, and record company loves it. The only people who don't
| love it are consumers, and neither industry nor government really
| cared much about them, ever.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061229_001403.html

Congress Critters Threaten To Pass Laws Forcing Universities To Obey RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that the money the RIAA is spending on campaign donations
| is well spent, however. With the universities not falling into line
| as expected, Congress held hearings where various politicians
| blasted universities for not taking a more proactive stance and
| threatening to withhold federal money from universities that
| don't play by the RIAA's rules.

RIAA and MPAA Fund Anti-Piracy Politicians

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-and-mpaa-fund-anti-piracy-politicians/