RICO RIAA / M$, probation violated?

  • Subject: RICO RIAA / M$, probation violated?
  • From: Oldtech <me@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:34:04 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
| RIAA, Safenet Sued For Malicious Prosecution                       |
|   from the what-goes-around dept.                                  |
|   posted by kdawson on Monday June 25, @20:34 (The Courts)         |
|   http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/25/2310205          |

[0]DaveAtFraud writes "Tanya Anderson, the single mother from Oregon
previously sued by the RIAA — which dropped the case just before
 losing a
summary judgement — is now [1]suing the RIAA and their hired snoop
Safenet for malicious prosecution. (Safenet was formerly known as
MediaSentry.) Anderson is asserting claims under the Computer Fraud and
Abuse Act and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act. A
reader at Groklaw has already picked up that she is seeking to have the
RIAA forfeit the copyrights in question as part of the settlement
 (search
the page for '18.6-7')."

Discuss this story at:
    http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=07/06/25/2310205

Links:
    0. mailto:dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    1. http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070625162738896

| Google Calls For More Limits On Microsoft                          |
|   from the keeping-watch-a-while-longer dept.                      |
|   posted by kdawson on Monday June 25, @21:47 (Microsoft)          |
|   http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/25/2343208          |

teh_commodore writes "Scientific American is reporting that Google is
 now
[0]asking a Federal judge to extend the government's anti-trust
 oversight
of Microsoft, specifically with regard to desktop search software.
Microsoft had [1]already agreed to modify Vista to allow rival desktop
search engines, but Google says that this remedy will come too late —
specifically, after (most of) the anti-trust agreement expires in
November. What makes this political maneuver interesting is that Google
went over the heads of the Department of Justice and US state
 regulators,
who had found Microsoft's compromise acceptable, to appeal directly to
the Federal judge overseeing the anti-trust settlement." Update: 06/26
17:20 GMT by [2]KD : The judge is unwilling to play along with Google;
she said she will [3]likely defer to an agreement on desktop search
forged between Microsoft and the plaintiffs in the case: i.e. Justice
 and
the states.

Discuss this story at:
    http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=07/06/25/2343208

Links:
    0.
 http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?alias=google-seeks-to-extend-mi&chanID=sa003
    1. http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/20/1659228&tid=109
    2. http://slashdot.org/~kdawson/
    3.
 http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/062607-judge-favors-microsoft-search.html

I'll stick with GNU/Linux, as it is the winner now as I suspected in
1996 when I started experimenting with it, finally to fully switch to
Linux ONLY, in 1997.  Check out http://livecdlist.com and try the Mepis,
PClinuxOS to start.