Vista NOT More Secure Than Linux

The trolls seem rather confused (still), so here is _another_ new rebuttal and
clarification (from Windows-oriented sources).

On the face of it, Microsoft continues to seek some form of replacement for the
insecure O/S that is no longer maintainbale. They have published a new paper:

Meanwhile, even pro-Microsoft press is casting doubt.

Is Windows Vista Really More Secure Than Linux or OS X?

Then you have the *hidden* patches:

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?

You also have severity and scale of the system to consider:

Microsoft is Counting Bugs Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but Microsoft's self-evaluating security counting isn't really a
| good accounting.
| [...]
| The point: Don't count on security flaw counting. The real flaw is
| the counting.

If counter properly, Linux beats all.

How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS?

And then you have evaluations of the systems from a technical perspective, not
some statistical/mathematical one where the numbers are meaniningless.

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

The Structural Failures of Windows

Let it rest, Microsoft astroturfers. Microsoft employees cannot deceive
everyone with paid-for 'reports'. Even the media does not buy it. Until
Microsoft takes this "Singularity thing" and lets it matures for a few decades
(probably needs a large community of contributers and testers as well),
Windows/Microsoft hasn't a chance. It's not modular. It's not maintainable, so
it can never be made secure or properly understood.

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

Windows Fiji: Now second half of 2008?

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

Microsoft cuts Windows virtualization features

,----[ Quote ]
| "Right now, Microsoft has nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide. After all
| the hype surrounding Vista, the Emperor has finally been revealed in all
| his naked glory. Some folks have been predicting the demise of Microsoft. I
| wouldn't go that far, but I am wondering how we?re ever going to take
| Microsoft seriously again?"

A history of Microsoft Windows - the inside story exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| 2004: (...)
| THE MANAGEMENT: "What do you mean it still doesn't work? Try
| harder!"
| 2005: (...)
| "MAKE IT WORK! FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAKE IT WORK! Well, throw it away
| and use the server version then, that seems all right. Look, they
| won't know the difference, drop the database stuff, nobody remembers
| what we said in 1995 now! That was ten years ago! "Apple has what?
| 3D acceleration? So, we have DirectX. What, in the desktop? Really?
| What, even Stallman's beardie-weirdies have it? Oh hell. Right, you
| lot, make it look like this!"

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows