Re: [News] [Linux] Linux is Blooming is China

John Locke wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 04:59:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> China's Linux coming-of-age
>>
> With potentially 500 million users running Linux,
> doesn't that threaten Microsoft's grip on the
> desktop market ?
>
> ...or am I dreaming ??

Yes, it is a fait accompli.

There certainly are a lot of us, who simply prefer to use the better
tools for any job when we can acquire those better tools.

It is fairly difficult to get an accurate grip on the true extent of use
of GNU/Linux worldwide, but, my guess is that right now, of the 1
billion purported to be on the Internet, 300 million are NOT running
Microsoft!

Everyone looks to the Chinese for perhaps 300 to 500 million more
GNU/Linux users on the web.

Are we forgetting India?  There is a lot more Open Source Software
development going on in India, for the West, than is happening in China,
and India has another quarter billion people more than China!

Then, the old Russia and Eastern bloc nations all have advanced
programmers, who have been writing code for over two decades.  Add
another quarter billion folks.

Predictions are something that may not happen, but, mine is that by
2015, there will be 2 billion web users, of which 1.4 billion will NOT
be doing Microsoft!

A lot of the growth of non-Microsoft computing will be a direct result
of the greed of Microsoft in charging $828.00 for Vista Ultimate, in the
EU, when it is $414.00 in North America!

I am not sure if it is only a joke, or if the quote was valid, but, in
early June, it was stated on the web that, in all of China, only 244
boxes of Vista had been sold.

The simplest version of Vista sells for more than a month's wages, in
China, and the computer needed to run it costs more than most consumers
can budget, so Lenovo is really making a killing on their Linux machines!

When it is added that the GNU/Linux distros run upto 50X faster in all
processes, per the benchmarks of 30+ media magazine and hardware ezine
tests, most folks go for the virus free option of GNU/Linux.

I believe it is fact, that GNU/Linux is now the prime choice of
consumers, inspite of all the huge marketing campaign by Microsoft,
everywhere in the world.

The offer to replace Vista with XP by many major vendors of bundled
systems reinforces this truth, as does the money making movement by
Dell, selling three of their systems with Ubuntu, for $200.00 LESS than
the identical units with Vista or XP!  Then, there is the $950 in Trial
ware, for the anti-spybot, anti-malware, anti-virus that surely profits
many of the vendors of bundled systems.

GNU/Linux is immune to the "114,000 Microsoft Malware Virus
Definitions".  Surely this is something that is attractive to any
consumer who has spent hours of labor and too much money, "fixing" the
broken Microsoft crapware OS.

In it's adversarial conduct, Microsoft, which has, over the past decade,
elevated GNU/Linux from only the grassroots movement of sandaled geeks,
to the number one global threat to the DRM locked-in mulitiple convicted
felon Microsoft product, we can see that the giant is week in the knees,
and fears the tumble already in force.

Every Microsoft executive has sold their Microsoft stocks, since 1999,
at the maximum rate permitted by the SEC.  Everyone knows that the
Emperor's new clothes are vapor, illusion, product of smoke and mirrors.

Governments, businesses, charities, schools, and individual do not enjoy
 having to do comply to rules such as the EULA of multiple convicted
felon Microsoft, when that felon Microsoft breaks all the rules in the
most egregious manner.

Honest folk do not deal with criminals.  Microsoft has lost a huge
amount of credibility through it's empty promises over the past 20+ years.

Hey, this is all the information that I hold to be true right now, and
seems to be valid based upon all the input from my contacts in 17
nations, plus, what I know from my own travels as an IT professional
since 1965.

YMMV, and maybe you do business with multiple convicted felons, but, I
don't trust them to change their modus operandi just to meet the needs
of one or two billion consumers.