Re: The Size of Eclipse (IDE) Projects Doubled in Just One Year

On Jun 27, 11:30 am, BearItAll <s...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rex Ballard wrote:
> > Visual Basic and C# have pretty much become synonymous with "Microsoft
> > Only".  Microsoft has fed the Mono project "teaser" code, but not
> > really enough to provide a fully functional client system for .NET.
> > Meanwhile, J2SE, J2EE, AJAX, and Eclipse have created an "All
> > platforms" solution.
>
> I quite like commandline mono (c#), I don't think I would ever use it now,
> because I'm too used to bash, perl and ruby for scripts. But I could
> understand if some do take to it. It's a neater way to script for those who
> haven't yet faced Perl.

That's part of the problem.  Linux/OSS has several excellent scripting
languages,
including Perl, Python, Ruby, TCL, Bash, and even a scripting language
for
Java (just saw that in the RHEL-5 distribution).

Sure, these aren't hugely fast performance monsters, but many have the
ability
to create compiled libraries which can be called by scripts which call
the compiled
modules or classes.  When you can write a 100 line script that
provides a nice friendly
interface between GUI form and a database, message queue, or command
line utility,
or several, scripting languages make a lot of sense.

The most successful projects and subprojects I've worked on are those
where the GUI interface was provided to call a simple command line or
scripting language interface.  This makes it easier to automate
testing, confirm business rules, and create high capacity volume tests
with a very small number of tester nodes.

Some of the worst project disasters have been those where the project
started from the GUI, and then attempted to implement everything as
calls to libraries directly from the GUI.  Too often, the business
rules of the GUI and the server don't match, the testing is much more
time consuming, and you need very complex "console feeders" such as
WinRunner to emulate even a small number of users.

> The classes are quite comprehensive, a little bit poor on documentation, but
> it should pick up.

Documentation is one of Microsoft's strong points.  They embed their
documentation into the applications.  The Java developer community is
beginning to get much better at providing the superior documentation
in a context sensitive way.  Eclipse does provide a great framework
for that.