Re: [News] Linux Among the Reasons for Vista EULA Flip-flop?

You don't half give away your lack of intelligence in these posts.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070624-microsofts-anti-virtualization-stance-forget-drm-think-apple.html

>>> You can run Linux virtualised under Vista Home Edition (server aside for
>>> the moment, as Longhorn, AKA Server 2008, is a mess that led to dropping
>>> of very basic virtualisation features). On the other hand, you need
>>> expensive Vista licences (no OEM 'discounts' here) in order to make
>>> Linux the host. As I said to Rex earlier, Microsoft totally bends
>>> Novell's arm on this one. It's rather disturbing to watch.
>>>
>>> At the end of the day, what would you want to virtualise Vista for?
>>> Windows XP supports /far/ more applications and it is being patched more
>>> regularly. I think Microsoft understands this. Combined with the
>>> problems in Server 2008, the company has many reason to panic at this
>>> stage.
>>>

>> I don't have a reason to virtualise any Windows, but some will want it,
>> others will maybe need it eventually.
>
> Well, since people have been running Windows versions in virtual
> machines for donkeys years in QA labs, then I daresay that is a very
> accurate and insightful statement ....

That is why I said it, but there was a snot-n-sticky tape approach until MS
made changes for the VM community in XP.

>> Take the Linux effect, another area where Linux is leaps and bounds ahead
>> of MS.
>
> In the "Linux effect"? I would hope so ....

You can't read can you. The comma is significant.

>> We can go to almost any UNIX/Linux host, pick a virtual machine and get a
>> choice from several of the OS's, mine offers a choice of 5 distros. The
>> list caters for different tastes enough that there wouldn't really be a
>> need to extend that list.
>
> Why? Whats "not so different" from the other 694 distros?

Yes there is a difference. Of cause all Linux can be made to do the same
things, but that doesn't mean that the base of each is identical or that
they take the same approach in each area of the system, if they were
identical they would be no need for more than one distro.

Linux people know this, you know diddly squat about anything.

>> Debian,Ubuntu,CentOS,Fedora,Gentoo (basically one of each main family)
>
> Ubuntu is of the Debian family.

They are different. You could easily argue that all distros depend in some
way on Debian, the argument has been placed many times over the years and
it is very hard to dispute except in some finer points. But the derived
distros are not all identical.

Of cause some distros are nothing more than backdrop and button colour
changes, those tend to hover at the bottom of the distrowatch tables.

>> Then in the virtual machine you get to do anything you want to do, it's
>> basically your own server, so as well as a host for your web pages,
>> you
>
> "basically"? Oh, do tell us the more complicated version.

That is your lack of English not mine.

I still say that if I was doing your job of anti-Linux advocate I could do
it much better than you do.