Re: [News] Linux Among the Reasons for Vista EULA Flip-flop?

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 27 June 2007 12:57 : \____

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070624-microsofts-anti-virtualization-stance-forget-drm-think-apple.html
>> http://tinyurl.com/2e6tpu
>>
>> The article is focused on Apple. In reality, ot's not about Apple, but also
>> about Linux. Apple users and investors might live in a bubble. No school,
>> datacentre, or government is moving to Mac OS just for fancy graphics and
>> excellent design.
>
> We'll see just how good, or bad, Microsoft are at squeezing the last out
> of their lock-in.  If they manage to get people like Ashley Highfield at
> the BBC to lock BBC licence-payers into Microsoft DRM, then they could
> still have another stab at a monopoly play.  Hopefully, that will not
> succeed, and Mr Highfield and the BBC will be required to provide open
> interfaces.

I was expecting you to end with "Mr Highfield (and the BBC?) will be fired", so
this was a little disappointed as I read on. This seems not only like an
incompetent move, but a very self-serving one. Public money should not be
managed by self-serving cliques.

>> IPhone Euphoria May Lead to Investor Disappointment
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Apple Inc., whose market value passed $100 billion in May as euphoria
>>| mounted over its iPhone, may be facing investor expectations that are
>>| too high.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=auDOkyIddZ5Y&refer=home
>>

> It does seem pricey to me, but then, there are always some people who
> will pay the extra for a "cool" device, and Apple have a fantastic
> record at getting "cool" right.
>
> <snipo>

Some day that around 10% are intrested in the phone already. I can't recall 10%
of *what*. but on a global scale (for active cellphones) this would roughly
equate the number of iPods sold overall. I they can turn a product into a
culture like the iPod and Palm Pilot, they will then thrive in an ecosystem of
free addons and wide support.

Roy S. Schestowitz  Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish session
 14:20:01 up 10 days, 19:48,  4 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.57, 0.70