Re: [News] [Linux] No ZFS Needed for Linux, New Filesystems May Obviate the Need

____/ BearItAll on Wednesday 27 June 2007 13:49 : \____

> Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Excuse the sweaty brow, I just feignted
>>
>> fainted.
>>
>> ,----
>> | From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48
>> | [gcide]:
>> |
>> | Feign \Feign\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Feigned; p. pr. & vb. n.
>> |    Feigning.] [OE. feinen, F. feindre (p. pr. feignant), fr.
>> |    L. fingere; akin to L. figura figure,and E. dough. See
>> |    Dough, and cf. Figure, Faint, Effigy, Fiction.]
>> |    1. To give a mental existence to, as to something not real or
>> |       actual; to imagine; to invent; hence, to pretend; to form
>> |       and relate as if true.
>> `----
>>

>>> Looking that up on the net it seems that on any error (yes I said 'any')
>>> the system admin is notified and all further access to that system is
>>> stopped.
>>
>> Rubbish.
>>
>> "Disk scrubbing -- live online checking of blocks against their
>> checksums, and self-repair of any problems."
>>

>>> Sorry, you just feignted too eh? Here, borrow my damp cloth.
>>
>> ugh.
>>

>>> So, you get an email from your system 500 miles away, it so happens to
>>> be
>>
>> How will you get an email if the "entire disk subsystem" is shut down?
>>

>>> the day when the ISP is doing some scheduled work so the email is a
>>> little later than normal. Telling you that the file system has a little
>>> error and has therefore stopped.
>>>
>>> Thankyou for the offer of a new file system, but I don't think it's the
>>> right one for me.
>>
>> Did you actually read anything on that page?
>>

>>> Ah but, I here you say, assuming that is a raided drive then whats the
>>> problem, the bad side of the raid is kicked out, but the system still
>>> runs.
>>
>> What has that to do with anything?
>>

>>> Well pardon me but I don't want to have to dash off 400 miles (even a
>>> virtual dash through vpn) every time we have a bad sector. What do
>>> these
>>
>> Oh please.
>>
>>> people think goes on currently? Linux is better than that, we don't
>>> need to
>>

>>> kill off a drive or volume for a large proportion of potential drive
>>> errors. Of those problems that are marked for the filesystem check over
>>> night, how many would actually bring down the system? The answer is, very
>>> few because the system is well able to deal with these situations these
>>> days.
>>>
>>> There, I've spat my dummy and quite right too.
>>>

>> No. Not quite right. Stop. Take a deep breath, go back an actually read
>> the article.
>>
>> ps ZFS is available via Samba for Windows to access ...
>>

> You are a card, pretending your too thick to understand a simple post. You
> are pretending aren't you?

I LOLed @ "ZFS is available via Samba for Windows to access"

Maybe he burned a FUSE (pun intended).

Roy S. Schestowitz     \ Spread Mozilla Firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Mem:    515500k total,   439392k used,    76108k free,     3304k buffers