Re: [News] [Linux] Linux Used in Another Series of Routers

> Solutions4ebiz Announces New Linux Router with Rackmount Capability
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Customers can order the Envoy router, along with other Linux
>| routers and hardware solutions,
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9806.html
>
> A special feature reminds the readers why almost nobody builds a system from
> scratch anymore (maybe RIM did, but this has limitations).
>
> Psion: the last computer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The Series 5 pocket computer from Psion was launched 10 years ago this week.
>| It was a remarkable achievement: entirely new silicon, a new operating
>| system, middleware stack and applications were developed from scratch
>| in just over two years.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/26/psion_special/

The Series 5 was an excellent machine, I have one here - it was years
ahead of its time, and unlike the palm machines around at the time,
had a keyboard good enough to do real typing on.  I've also got one of
the very little known series 4 machines, and used to have a Revo until
my No1 son took it to school and then lost it...  Myself and Mrs Mark
both have TomToms, very good machines too.

The Register's guys are quite right, though, this is the day of the
appliance;  mp3 players, usb sticks, Nokia 770s, TomToms, etc. etc.  It
would be interesting to see a history of Acorn in the same way, as they
went from producing a single-board 6502-based computer to the Arm chip
design which powers so many, if not most, low-power devices today.

It does seem surprising that Psion didn't acquire Palm when they could
have done, although I suspect that if they had done, then it could've
delayed linux by quite a long time, since there would've been a
significant competitor to the Wintel offerings.  I've never had a Psion
Series 7, but I know many people still use them, and hold them in high
regard.