[News] [Rival] "Critical" Windows Patches Delivered Quietly, AV Vendor to Scan Windows Spewage

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] "Critical" Windows Patches Delivered Quietly, AV Vendor to Scan Windows Spewage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:56:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Critical update for Intel Core CPUs is out

,----[ Quote ]
| In the mobile world, people with the Core 2 Duo T5000 and T7000 need to
| visit Microsoft's site, while the server guys will want to use
| motherboard BIOSes if they do not rely on Microsoft Windows
| operating systems.

This was probably mentioned a while ago, but only now has it made some
headlines. This is one of those /quiet/ updates, just like the XP wireless
flaw, which remains unpatched in many cases. It's serious stuff.

Trend Micro extends battle with Hotmail viruses

,----[ Quote ]
| The service provided by Trend Micro will scan all email attachments,
| both sent and received, to check for dodgy or malicious code.

More AV vendors in bed with Microsoft. See below... they will probably be
scanning electronic rubbish that comes from Windows botnets. The security
problems and implications of Windows are by no means exaggerated.

Related:

Hotmail still riddled with spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
|                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Hotmail addresses are spam.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
| predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
| be "eliminated" within two years.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2188226/hotmail-riddled-spam-admits

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]