Re: AIOE alternatives?

____/ Attila on Saturday 23 June 2007 10:47 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ Attila on Wednesday 20 June 2007 18:57 : \____

>>> Hi Roy,
>>> I don't recall asking about filters. I thought my query was clear enough
>>> and from your response (uncalled for btw) AIOE seems to have a bad
>>> reputation. I am nobody else but me (my name's Jonathan if that's
>>> important; Attila is my desktop). I enjoy Cola and get a lot of useful
>>> information from what you and others post. I'm a lowly debian user but I
>>> think that still counts as linux. I see there are a lot of other replies
>>> so I'll stop here. Cheers,
>>> Jonathan
>>
>> Sorry about the prejudice. The prevalence of trolls made it a 'survival
>> skill' to many people. As for AIOE, I know at least one (actually... two)
>> poster that filter (out) everything from AIOE, but I just go by names,
>> although it's sometimes less effective.
>>
>> I'm afraid I can't offer a real answer here. I don't know posting hosts,
>> but I used (and still use) Google Groups on occasions. I have three points
>> from which I can post, just in case one of them is unavailable (downtime)
>> or buggy (Google Groups had some issued recently, but they seem to have
>> corrected everything).
>>
> Apology accepted, Roy. The main lesson from all this is that not all of us
> come from large countries where free newsservers are provided by ISP's as a
> matter of course. Since NG's provide the bulk of FOSS support, as a matter
> of principle I won't pay for a newsserver. If Gmane is free (as in beer)
> why shouldn't newsservers that carry COLA (which, in my opinion, provides
> important information and a lot of rubbish about trolls which is boring - I
> thought "don't feed the trolls" was the order of the day) also be free.

For technical support, mailing lists *can* (IMHO) be very useful although --
depending on how you manage them -- keeping track can be cumbersome.
Searching, indexing, and archiving is another matter, not to mention
visibility of E-mail addresses and spam residues. I got to know some people
through mailing lists and the 'atmosphere' is very different.

I first subscribed to COLA back in 2005. We got harassed by crossposting,
nymshifting trolls over at the SUSE newsgroup, among a few others. Then I
looked at that thing people called COLA and it was a mess (high traffic,
strong language). It never made Linux look very attractive, but I firmly
believe things have been getting better... not just in COLA, but for Linux in
general... and there's a correlation here... not in the direction I would hope
for... the gist of it is that disruptive posters lost their passion and
morole, so they walk away from Linux NGs where they once felt heroic and
superior. What do they get here now? A video of Compiz? Stories about servers
that run without a reboot for years? Defence of a monopoly abuser that
threatens small rival in an SCO-like fashion? Microsoft is hard to admire
these days. And this status is very well earned, due to its own actions.

How many fans does the MPAA have? I doubt they could enlist shills even... who
would want to get paid to become so scummy?

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet