Re: AIOE alternatives?

____/ Attila on Wednesday 20 June 2007 19:01 : \____

> Is that my fault? What exactly can I do to change that. I use knode from a
> debian (lenny) box and I'm in spain. AFAIK Telefonica (my isp) doesn't
> provide a newsgroup service.
>

>>> So, pick a post by flatfish and compare the headers rather than just
>>> "your headers look like his".
>>> AIOE is a news server. People post to it.
>>> OK, the fact it's free and has posting ability means it's a magnet for
>>> trolls. But not EVERYONE who uses it is a troll, Roy.
>>>
>>> Hell, I'm moving house in a month or so and prolly my ISP too.
>>> And if my new ISP doesn't have a news server, I might be forced into
>>> using AIOE too. (Or another free one, after all, why should I pay for the
>>> privilage of using something that should be free?)
>>
>> Watch the client and the version. That remains in tact.
>>
> My Knode version is 0.10.4 on KDE 3.5.5. Are linux users not welcome at
> Cola? I even convinced my girlfriend to use linux. Doesn't that count for
> something?
> Jonathan

No, no... don't get me wrong. It's *my* mistake (and a very tactless one, I'll
admit, as I said in my previous post).

Sadly, I have just been informed that AIOE has put a ban on COLA (just
posting?). I did not file any complaint, but a friend who uses AIOE is having
a hard time using AIOE. Innocent and good posters get punished because of the
trolls. I suppose your post was prophetic in that sense. The bad behaviour of
trolls led to complaints which had it excluded (again). I was not involved in
this, but perhaps the lesson to learn here is that trolls should not be fed
(that Dr. "X" nymshifting troll was probably the cause).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
 12:00:01 up 5 days, 17:28,  6 users,  load average: 0.20, 1.18, 1.51