Re: [News] [Linux] Dell Linux Coming Along Nicely, Support Not Even Needed

____/ [H]omer on Friday 22 June 2007 21:51 : \____

>> ____/ BearItAll on Friday 22 June 2007 14:37 : \____
>
>>> Is Ubuntu/Linux meant to be already mentioned on Dell's web site? I
>>> just had a look to see how prominent it was on their pages. But it
>>> doesn't even come up in a website search along side any PCs.
>>
>> They include an advert in a shuffle at the front page. Still, baby
>> steps... taking a chair apart one screw at the time... otherwise it
>> just gets b0rken (thrown).
>
> There's also this:
>
> http://www.dell.com/ubuntu
> http://www.dell.com/linux
> http://linux.dell.com
> http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=sw_linux
> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/category/1021.aspx/
> http://www.ideastorm.com/popular.linux
>
> Typing "Linux" into the search box on dell.com, gave me:
>
> .----
> | Recommended Links
> |
> | Introducing Dell PCs with Ubuntu and FreeDOS
> | You asked, we listened. For advanced users and tech enthusiasts,
> | we’re happy to offer new open-source operating systems, so you can
> | dive in and truly enjoy a PC experience just the way you want it.
> |
> | Shop for Ubuntu Systems for your Home & Home Office
> | Ubuntu OS comes with built-in software for productivity (i.e., word
> | processor, spreadsheets and presentation applications), e-mail,
> | calendar, chat, web browsing, photos, and more. Shop now for Dell
> | computers with the Ubuntu OS.
> |
> | Dell open source desktops for small business
> | Dell's open-source n Series desktops are available for small
> | businesses with special Linux needs.
> `----
>
> The keyword "Ubuntu" gave me the same page.
>
> Dell still do not yet sell Ubuntu systems in the UK:
>
> .----
> | In a statement sent to ZDNet UK, Dell said: "Currently these are
> | only being offered in the US. Dell is still working out details of
> | its global programme." The company refused to put a timescale on
> | when UK users might benefit.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39286942,00.htm

Just a matter of time, methinks. Also, H-P haven't stopped testing the market
(and Linux in the technical sense) as far as I know. They will also be
watching Dell, which possibly explains why Dell keeps the numbers secret.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
Tasks: 109 total,   3 running, 105 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie