Re: [News] [Rival] Pro-Windows Trolling Entails a Punishment

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 21 June 2007 10:01 : \____

>> ZDNET hackette backs down under Apple fan boy threats
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | ZD NET'S Volish correspondent, Mary Jo Foley, has broken under pressure
>> | of abuse from Apple fan boys who were miffed that she dared to suggest
>> | that Leopard looked the same as Vista.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40441
>
> As I said before, I like Foley, but she got that original article badly
> wrong. She's doing some serious back peddling in her update, claiming
> (to paraphrase) "but that's not what I said at all". Unfortunately the
> hardcopy tells a different story, e.g.:
>
> "Dashboard with widgets. Isn’t this like the Vista Sidebar with gadgets?"
>
> Good God woman! Mac OS X had both a Dashboard and Widgets before there
> even *was* a Vista OS.
>
> Just because it's an opinion piece, that's no excuse for poor, nae
> *zero* research. It was a mistake, in fact it was crass stupidity.
>
> Her many, many *good* articles more than compensate for this one (albeit
> big) mistake, however.
>
> And no (Ms Foley, or anyone else who's interested) I am *not* a Mac
> fanboy, as our dear MacTroll friend Oxford will no doubt testify.
>
>> The Myth of Fanboys
>
> And while we're on the subject of fanboy's ... where are all the Inq.
> articles about Windows fanboys poisoning social networking sites like
> Digg and places like IdeaStorm?
>
> Funny how whenever a Mac or Linux guy posts a comment he's a "fanboy",
> but when a rampaging hoard of paid Microsoft shills infest a site like a
> plague of locusts - no official media comment ... anywhere.
>
> So ... who invents the news?

+1.

What bothers me the most is that even those who promote freedom (neither a
product nor a company) can actually be called "_fan_boys". Since when is
standing for one's own rights a matter of being a "fan"? Being the most
prolific commenter in Digg (I think I have a large gap on the second user), I
get a lot of that "fanboi"-type comments. It's really pointless. FWIW, some of
those shills (maybe someone from COLA as well) still go through each comment
of mine and mod it down. I start at +0 at best.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
 11:00:01 up 4 days, 16:28,  4 users,  load average: 1.39, 1.48, 1.34