Re: Linux servers last *twice* as long as windows ones....

  • Subject: Re: Linux servers last *twice* as long as windows ones....
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 05:18:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Paul Bramscher ] on Saturday 10 March 2007 04:48 \__

> Linonut wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Paul Bramscher belched out this bit o'
>> wisdom:
>>
>>> I'm not suggesting it's such a wonderful thing to save electrons,
>>> because they're scarce.  Rather, there's also a huge implied savings in
>>> development efforts -- less of a human footprint (cubicles, cars,
>>> offices, electricity, the whole works) entailed when as little reworking
>>> as possible is required.  Ideally, I wish our whole society could trend
>>> this way -- eventually get to the point where we only need to work
>>> perhaps 2-3 days/week and enjoy 4-5 day weekends.
>>
>> Buckminster Fuller was always claiming that would happen.
>>
>> It will never happen, not as long as businesses compete for wealth using
>> laborers (including well-paid laborers such as myself).
>
> Oh no, it actually *must* happen.  At the rate decent jobs are being
> off-shored, real earning power declines, etc. there will be no point in
> working 2 jobs to afford an over-priced apartment or piece of real
> estate.  All indicators suggest that that market is hosed.
>
> It was early 20th century anarchists like Kropotkin who wondered why we
> couldn't capitalize on the work of previous generations, live in houses
> already built, work less, etc.  The answer (you are correct) is that
> businesses seek to continually increase their wealth.
>
> But they're leaving the US.  Thank the gods.  I say let 'em go, and good
> riddance to them.

The jobs murder should also be attributed to the flawed patent system,
lobbied for by titans. It eliminates competitiveness and leaves freer
countries to innovate and then export. Suddently the tables are turned.
Small businesses are being locked out while titans argue in courts, only to
find that companies overseas suddenly offer the same products for half the
price. The only way for the West to compete is to embrace collaboration
(build bridges, not walls) and eliminate barriers (e.g. IP). Yesterday I
read an article which poses the question:

        Which country will inherit the earth? But wait. The question was, will it be
China or India?...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"
Swap:  1036184k total,   314696k used,   721488k free,    94548k cached