[News] Another Linux Test Build That's Actually Ready for Daily Use

PCLinuxOS 2007 (beta 2) - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Although this is still considered a "beta", there are people out there
| using it today just as efficiently and effectively as a branded
| "official" distribution.
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/review_of_pclinuxos_2007_beta2.html

Related:

Ubuntu 7.04 Alpha 3 - Installation

,----[ Quote ]
| Final Thoughts
|
|     * This whole experience has been too cool. My complements to the
|       Ubuntu team for putting 7.04 together. If this is an Alpha release
|       then I can't wait for the betas or the final release.
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/02/ubuntu-704-alpha-3-installation.html

E17 -- Desktop Enlightenment

,----[ Quote ]
| You need to install E17 in order to fully appreciate the magnificent
| work of the programmers. The direction of changes is very good -- e17
| delivers a nice-looking desktop with many special effects, being easy
| and lightweight at the same time. When compared to its predecessor
| -- e16 -- it shows that the desktop personalization and new effects
| do not have to trigger additional hardware purchases. I only wish Ic
| ould say the same about GNOME and KDE. Also, I have to say that I
| wish the Microsoft products were as stable and functional as e17
| in alpha phase.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/window-managers/e17-desktop-enlightenment/

Unlike this:

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

Vista backlash grows; key advocate moves back to XP

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Pirillo just broke up with Windows Vista, saying, "The shipping
| version of this OS is late beta, at best."
|
| Jason Busch did the same: "It's an absolute travesty that
| Microsoft would have released such a half-baked product."
`----

http://gracefulflavor.net/2007/03/06/vista-backlash-grows-key-advocate-moves-back-to-xp/
http://tinyurl.com/2ldrbe

Life with Vista - Is this dogfood really for the dogs?

,----[ Quote ]
| # Vista is not ready for primetime. By that I mean that Vista still
| feels like a beta. That's right. It has so many compatibility
| problems with existing applications that running anything other
| than stuff from Microsoft that specifically says "for Vista Build
| XXXX" makes me feel like I'm taking my life into my own hands.
|
|    1. Games - don't even get me started...
|
|    2. Visual Studio 2005 - I can't find the words to express the irony...
|
|    3. Virtual PC - worthless. Don't even attempt on Vista.
`----

http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com/vista_dogfood.htm

Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News