Re: the strange alternate anti-matter universe of Jack S ..

On Thursday 08 March 2007 15:50 Doug Mentohl wrote:

> 'and partly because of the fees that PC sellers collect for bundling ISP
> connections, free antivirus and multimedia software, browser toolbars and
> so on', JS
>
> What fees .. what bundling .. what antivirus ? Out of the box, you get an
> Internet ready Desktop with browsers and multimedia software and it don't
> come with antivirus as you don't need it. Enable the online upgrade
> service and it automatically keeps itself up-to-date. Have you ever use a
> current Linux Desktop?

Just on that one point:-

It's what we've been referring to as "crapware".
That is, all the "60-day trial" stuff that comes pre-loaded particularly on
Dells WINDOWS machines.  Norton (for example) actually PAY Dell to install
it.  If Dell deliver Linux, no trial S/W installed, no "commission".
It makes Windows cheaper than it would otherwise be for Dell.