Re: [News] New Article Explains Why Trolls Gradually Abandon comp.os.linux.advocacy (COLA)

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 08 March 2007 07:50 \__

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/030607-too-late-to-discredit-open.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

>>> Oh dear!
>>> So He was right all along?
>>>
>>> Linux *is* a cancer......
>>>
>>> ... and it's inoperable .... can be slowed but not stopped ...... and the
>>> prognosis for the patient is.... well.... "enjoy the time you have left"?
>>>
>>> Ah dear.  Poor ol' MS........:-(
>>
>> I share your misery. With Open Source "all over the place", as the
>> gentleman argues, what would be the purpose of the preaching in COLA? We
>> could become obsolete... *gasp*
>>

> To be quite honest, on this one, I don't think that I'd have a problem
> with cola and ourselves becoming obsolete.  Still, although linux and
> FOSS is making inroads absolutely everywhere, there is still a
> tremendous amount of ground to catch up, and still a huge amount of
> change in this industry track, observe and influence.  Perhaps we need a
> new group, with a new charter almost exactly like the old one.
> comp.os.foss.advocacy.  The only problem being that cola is much easier
> to say :-)

The next challenge is probably to transform from myth busting to contract
making. The second step which is laughter/ridicule is over. Now it's time to
fight. Google's fights are not enough. We need to encourage
Linux/OpenOffice, not some proprietary Web-based suite from various
companies that collect data for targetted ads. Of course their servers run
Linux, but we can do better than that.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
 11:00am  up 44 days 11:18,  7 users,  load average: 2.07, 0.73, 0.38