Re: [News, again?] Dell considers big change: offering Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News, again?] Dell considers big change: offering Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:08:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jeremy Fisher ] on Thursday 08 March 2007 11:51 \__

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> from the Redundant Lead Balloon Department:
>>

>>   PC maker says it received more than 100,000 customer
>>   requests for Linux and may offer it as a Windows
>>   alternative.
>>
>>   March 6 2007: 7:19 PM EST
>>
>>   BOSTON (Reuters) -- Dell is considering offering the
>>   Linux operating system as an alternative to Microsoft's
>>   Windows on its personal computers, a Dell spokesman said
>>   on Tuesday.
>>
>>   The PC maker said it received more than 100,000 customer
>>   requests for Linux in a "suggestion box" posted on Dell's
>>   Web site less than three weeks ago.
>>
>> Let's hope this time it has legs -- and the guts. :-)
>
> I wonder if Dell are just rattling Microsoft's cage to get a lower price on
> OEM installs. What I think Dell should do as a company is to buy out a good
> Linux distro, branch it off and provided a selection of machines targeted
> for different sectors of the IT market, such as business, and home users
> who require secure systems for email, web, and a good office suit, they
> would have no problem getting drivers written for their own brand printers.
> It could be done by starting a new Dell division with a new brand so the
> deals done with Microsoft can't effect the success of the venture.
>
> Dell at the moment have machines that look dated, if they adopt to move to
> Linux then other will follow them, and at last the value that Linux brings
> to the IT sector, the flexability, freedom and the adaptability Linux
> brings will move IT infostructure forward.
>
> But I am sure that Steve will be knocking on Mike's door with sweaty palm,
> and little black book or should that be red book.

Whose palm would be sweaty? The one under threat due to laws, morals, and
disruptive technology or the one who is abused (or "whacked")?

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
  8:05am  up 44 days  8:23,  7 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.75, 0.77