Re: [News] University of Nebraska (Microsoft Shop) Chooses Open Source Software

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:5334645.FU7qKvtLiB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University finds freedom, flexibility in open source business intelligence

,----[ Quote ]
| But when all of Microsoft's "natural predators" began to die off,
| and Microsoft no longer made the university's needs a priority,
| Stephen found open source solutions a lot more attractive.
|
| [...]
|
| Gradually, Stephen's relationship with Microsoft changed, as the company
| took over more and more of the commercial operating system and business
| application space. "Lotus 1-2-3 went away [SEE BELOW], and WordPerfect
| isn't what it was," she says.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/23/1729236&tid=101&tid=115

That makes for a comforting tale to preach to the Linux choir and promise vindication in the end, but Stephen doesn't seem to draw as much water as the writer would have you think. A casual search of the Cornhusker Lincoln campus site (which is not the main deal, by the way) shows that they highly recommend closed source products:

"Operating System: Should be Windows XP, 2000 or Macintosh OSX.
(If buying a new computer, buy it with Windows XP Home and then buy a Windows XP Pro upgrade at IS Sales for $5. ... Older operating systems are still supported, but the bulk of our experience and tools are geared towards Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Macintosh OSX 10.4."

Five bucks! Wow! Some terrible tax!

"Word Processing
MS Office/Word is the most common (available at IS Sales for under $10 http://shop.unl.edu/software.php )*"

Looking good!

Of course surfing the web around the dorm is one thing, but those who are seeking a career in computer science may be selected for the honors program, for example:

CSCE156H Honors: Introduction to Computer Science I (4 cr) Lec 3, lab 1
Prereq: Good Standing in UNL Honors Program
Description:Introduction to problem solving with computers including problem analysis and specification, algorithm development, and program design and implementation. JAVA and HTML in a Windows platform. "

But Stephen is working to change all that.