[News] OpenOffice Being Prepared for Indian Market Consumption

BharateeyaOO.o: Enabling OpenOffice.org for India

,----[ Quote ]
| Today as it stands, BharateeyaOO.o has completed localization of OOo
| in about 15 languages in its labs, of which about 5 are community
| supported. These languages are, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati,
| Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Mythili,
| Oriya, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu.
|
| Of these about 10 languages have already been submitted upstream
| as patches. OOo 2.1 has support for about 10 languages in its
| source. Our aim is to complete OOo in all 22 scheduled Indian
| languages by December 2007 and we are bang on schedule.
`----

http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/bharateeyaooo.html

India is officially a supporter of OpenDocument format.

Related:

Open XML's Quick ISO Approval Irks Indian Execs

,----[ Quote ]
| "This will have a devastating effect on affordable accessibility
| to IT in India," said Jaijit Bhattacharya, director of government
| strategy for Sun Microsystems. "This is tantamount to digital
| colonialization. For accessing our own information, we would be
| forced to pay a 'tax' to an individual firm," he added.

ODF Alliance Hails Brazil, India, Italy, and Poland for Recognizing
OpenDocument Format

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), a broad
| cross-section of organizations, academia and industry dedicated
| to improving access to electronic government documents, today
| applauded Brazil's decision to recommend ODF as the government's
| preferred format; India's decision to use ODF at a major state
| government agency; and Italy's decision to recognize ODF as
| national standard.
|
| The Alliance also recognized Poland, too, for demonstrating serious
| interest in adopting ODF in the wake of a national meeting held for
| its government with broad participants from industry and non-profit
| agencies.
`----

http://www5.sys-con.com/read/306120_p.htm

Open Source to pervade enterprise users

,----[ Quote ]
| Specialized stacks for business applications like- the LAMP (Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, PHP, Python/Perl) are expected to emerge according
| to Unisys experts.
`----

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/34228

Meet on free software demands policy changes

,----[ Quote ]
| P.Madhu, MP, said the Free Software movement was gaining a lot of
| momentum across the world and it was a movement for freedom,
| independence and self-reliance.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/05/stories/2007030516130500.htm

Partners in Punjab unite against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| With Microsoft resorting to penalizing the channel community in an
| effort to curb software piracy, industry experts feel that it might
| induce channel to look at selling other options, including Linux
`----

http://www.dqchannels.com/content/reselleralert/107030506.asp

CPI(M) for free and open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| West Bengal Minister for IT Debesh Das said there were strategic
| benefits with free and open source software as it would reduce
| imports, enhance national security and reduce copyright
| infringement. National Knowledge Commission vice-chairman P.
| M. Bhargava said the world was entering into an era of
| knowledge imperialism using software as an effective tool
| and there was a need to counter this.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/03/04/stories/2007030411510400.htm

Indian Policy Makers Call For Greater Use Of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A wide spectrum of policy makers called for the greater usage of open
| source to modernize India in the digital era and the re-evaluation of
| the laws pertaining to Intellectual Property. The event sought to examine
| the notion of intellectual "property," in the context of traditional
| knowledge, globalization and the growth of the open source movement
| worldwide.
`----

http://in.sys-con.com/read/281396_p.htm

Forum for Open Source Initiatives in India Formed

,----[ Quote ]
| Sandeep Menon, convener of FOSII and director of Linux business for
| Novell West Asia, said, "FOSII members belong to various facets
| of the Linux/OSS (Open Source Software) ecosystem, which includes
| the industry, academia, government and the community. Though the
| initial members are all from India, some foreign members too are
| expected to join this forum to share their global experience and
| aid the initiative."
`----

http://www.itnewsonline.com/showstory.php?storyid=7997&scatid=8&contid=1

India can live without Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 6,500 Linux systems have already been packed off to
| villages and another 6,100 Acer desktop systems with Suse on
| their way.
|
| Umashankar said that more than 20,000 desktop systems will be
| installed in schools that will only run on Suse. All ELCOT
| servers will run on Redhat. ELCOT expects to train 30,000
| government officials in Linux and Open Office too.

AP to forge ties with MIT for open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Andhra Pradesh government is forging ties with the Massachusetts
| Institute of Technology (MIT), US, for collaboration in the areas of
| e-governance, data standards and service-oriented architecture.
| "MIT will provide funding and technological assistance for
| developing and promoting different software components
| including an open source platform," said state IT secretary
| K Ratnaprabha.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andhra_Pradesh

Tamil Nadu (India) Shutting the Door On Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "The managing director of the IT procurement, consulting, and training
| agency for the Tamil Nadu government describes the reasons why he has
| chosen OSS, and also how he dealt with Microsoft executives."
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/0226229&from=rss

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
| express highway.
|
| [...]
|
| If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
| sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=16139&magid=11

'OSS needs Govt spur'

The Managing Director of Elcot on why he favours open source software.

,----[ Quote ]
| Commencing mildly with the Linux operating system in the early 90s, today
| OSS controls major systems in the world. This includes the day-to-day use
| open office software on the desktops to the operating system for the most
| powerful mainframe computers of the corporate world.
|
| [...]
|
| Which is better, OSS or the closed alternative? Why?
|
| OSS is always the best-suited choice for all class of users.
| Because the user/consumer has the freedom to view and modify the
| code to suit his/her convenience. As the source is open, one can
| be sure that there is no hijacking of the data by unknown elements.
|
| [...]
|
| Are security issues a cause for concern in OSS?
|
| Security issues are better addressed in OSS than in proprietary
| systems. I have personally tested the security systems in OSS. I
| was not able to intrude into the system as long as the default
| firewall was on. Once I brought down the Linux default firewall,
| the system allowed remote access.
|
| Over 75 per cent of the world's servers are on OSS today because
| of the robustness of security in Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Is advertising a constraint for the popularity of OSS, as compared
| to the competition?
|
| No, it is not advertisement that decides the popularity of OSS or its
| spread. The lack of policy from Governments hampers the spread of
| OSS. When Governments start using OSS, the spread of OSS becomes
| faster and its acceptability among corporates becomes open.
| Currently, many business houses, including certain large ones
| use only OSS to cut down cost and improve the reliability of
| their systems. But they are hesitant to share their successes
| for fear of the unknown.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2007/02/19/stories/2007021900130400.htm

Average Indian person just gets a copy of pirated Windows instead of a free
and legal copy of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of Linux's compelling features is the cost; Linux is free.
| However, as far as the average Indian person is concerned, there
| is no difference in cost between Linux and Windows, since he gets
| a copy of pirated Windows instead of an authorized and legal
| copy of Windows anyway..
`----

http://www.webpublishingforum.com/about965.html

Coffee, Bollywood stars and Windows Vista - Any connection?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has started the promotional campaign of Windows Vista with
| WOW! Not sure about other countries but at least in India, Microsoft
| is making use of Coffee and Bollywood stars.
`----

http://www.reviewsaurus.com/2007/02/10/coffee-bollywood-stars-and-windows-vista-any-connection/
http://tinyurl.com/2dlff6

The WoW is Now! - Microsoft India Corporate Anthem - Worst Song Ever?

,----[ Quote ]
| And remember - "...don't even try asking me to lend you mine, 'cause
| you only get the WoW if it's genuine..." 'Nuff said...
`----

http://www.justuber.com/blog/2007/02/12/the-wow-is-now-microsoft-india-corporate-anthem-worst-song-ever/

In India, Vista is powered by Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gautham.maediratta.com/index.php/2007/02/12/in-india-vista-is-powered-by-windows-xp/
http://tinyurl.com/2d6txm