Re: [News] VMware Improves, But Faces Microsoft's Dirty Tricks Ahead

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 05 March 2007 12:06 \__

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/24/technology/24soft.html?ex=1172898000&en=bbca645a927ef7f8&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
>> http://tinyurl.com/35jkur
>>

> Oh Mr Ballmer, what are we going to do with you. We keep having to give you
> lessons on computing, have you thought of trying a good book?
>
> Virtualisation should not be inside an OS, though there is some value in
> emmulation. Because if it is inside the OS and that particular OS throws a
> wobbly then all the other OS's are lost too. Imagine the situation, one of
> the best of the web hosts (IMHO) ocssolutions offers say a default OS of
> Redhat, then you can choose your own OS in your virtual machine. But their
> Redhat throws a wobbly and now none of their users can get to their web
> space. That wouldn't be very clever would it Mr Ballmer? Hmmmm? <taps
> gently on head>
>
> So instead VM is outside of the OS, shared kernel in a Openvz or seperate
> kernels in Xen. Anyone of the OSs can throw a wobbly if they so wish and
> all of the other VMs are safe. So safe in fact that you can give the IT man
> full access to His VM and freedom to do as he wishes knowing there is no
> risk whatsoever to the other VMs.
>
> Come back to us Mr Ballmer if you have any other questions, such as 'How do
> I make my OS play music and videos' etc.

There's a parallel here. How come a Web browser can delete files? Does a
viewer of hypertext belong /inside/ a file manager? Are SSH/Fish or (s)FTP
going to require any rendering?

Mr. Ballmer never studies computing. He never finished his MBA course,
either. I wondered if that last semester in Harvard taught something about
not jumping and shrieking on stage....

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S