Re: chrisjo on anti Java strategy memo ..

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 05 March 2007 01:04 \__

>> __/ [ Linonut ] on Sunday 04 March 2007 14:53 \__
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Jim Richardson belched out this bit o'
>>> wisdom:

>>> A Clifford Stoll moment?

>>> It's a two-sided coin, though.  Often the trolls motivate us to provide
>>> useful or important information.
>>
>> Or even entertain the reader, who can witness immaturity, boot licking,
>> and utter stupidity.
>>

> There do seem to be fewer than ever of them at the moment, and I do
> wonder just why.  They've been resident here for so many years, it seems
> hard to imagine that the disaster which is Vista alone would be the
> reason, and Roy S's posts, great as they are, also seem less than likely
> to be a sole cause.  Doug M's postings are surely having an effect, but
> again, don't seem like enough to send the trolls away.  What could it
> be?

Maybe they stopped sucking the Redmond nipple when:

1. The employer could no longer afford to compensate in any way (e.g. free
laptops).

2. The employer feared what got exposed as a result of aggressive behaviour
in forums.

3. Morale in the Vista camp has hit rock-bottom, so enthusiastic Windows fans
no longer took pride in their choice, let alone saw the prospect of getting
paid for the endeavours (e.g. job offer from Microsoft, which is gradually
imploding as profit drop).

--
Q: You say that "you can bet your business on Free Software"; how do you back
up that statement?

A: How can you bet your business on proprietary software? If a company is
bought, goes bankrupt or merges or decides to delete a product line you have
no choice but to go with whatever product or path they desire. How can you
plan when the company keeps changing its licensing terms, and you have no
real alternatives? What do you do when the company that makes your software
puts its own profits and its values ahead of yours, the customer? When the
software company holds back on releasing the latest bug fix so it fits its
"release schedule?" When you can't get that one little feature added that
would allow you to streamline your business, save a lot of money and beat
your competition to market?

What happens if that company (no matter where it is) is embargoed?

                                      -- Jon "Maddog" Hall