Re: Trying to install Ubuntu and its not working?

  • Subject: Re: Trying to install Ubuntu and its not working?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 05:25:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Darkelldar ] on Sunday 04 March 2007 01:45 \__

> "AB" <fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On 2007-03-04, Darkelldar <atcompsys@xxxxxxx> claimed:
>>> Downloaded the ISO, Burnt it to disk, Boot up system and it starts to
>>> load I
>>> select 800x600 x32 and start the install, the screen goes blank and it
>>> sits
>>> there with a black screen and then the monitor goes to standby?
>>>
>>> Any Ideas on this? Thanks.
>>
>> Sounds like it's getting one of the frequencies wrong.
>>
>> What graphics card are you using?
>
> ATI X1900 XTX.
>

>> Have you tried a lower bitplane? Say, 24, or 16?
>
> Yes 640 X 480 X 16
>>
>> Have you tested a different resolution? I've been able to suffice
>> short-term with a setting of 1024x768@60Hz until I could get in and
>> manually configure things (that was caused by an oddball Envision
>> monitor I bought at Costco).
>
> High End LG 20.1" Widescreen
>>
>> Have you tried the live version and tried to install from there? Or is
>> this directly into the installer only? What happens if you get the live
>> desktop and run that installer?
>
> Its the live version thats not booting. The harddrive is clean.

If the hard-drive is clean (as in blank), have you considered trying the
installer (simple and text-based)? It should only take about 20 minutes to
test (it sounds like your have a powerful workstation). Then, in addition to
having Ubuntu Linux configured differently, you could easily set a few
values correctly. It is likely that your monitor/graphics card were not
properly tested for compatibility with Ubuntu Linux, which is something we
must sometimes cope with until the OEMs deliver PCs with Linux preinatalled.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
  5:20am  up 40 days  5:38,  6 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.45, 0.53