Re: Falling into the Vista trap

__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 06:05 \__

>> That's a nice perspective that never crossed my mind. But what I was going
>> to say (I was in a hurry so I didn't) is that you can start small and grow
>> larger without code rewrites. You can use inherent scalability and
>> cross-platform portability of Linux to move your -- let us say -- DNA
>> sequencing program from a laptop to a 10,000 node supercomputer.
>
> Yes, I've sold Linux into a few shops based on the scalability issue.
> IBM's commitment to Linux on their big iron has really helped in that
> regard.
>
> Thad

The same applies to databases. It would be foolish to choose Oracle for a
small project that will never grow. Likewise, it would be silly to choose
Exchange in deployments that are expected to grow into enormous proportions.
It costs a lot of money and it's less reliable. SMBs might prefer this
because they lack in-house *nix skills.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Tasks: 129 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie