Re: Thoughts On Dell's Linux 'Hoax'

> __/ [ Linonut ] on Friday 02 March 2007 03:02 \__
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Linuxiac belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> More recently, in 2006, Lenovo had a bad tussle, and they're in China,
>>> wanting to push the Party line, "Red Flag" Linux! They want to
>>> contribute to the WTO qualification, by fighting piracy, but Microsoft
>>> countered that.
>>
>> 'iac, ya got a link for that incident?
>>
>> Thanx in advance!
>
> I was about to ask for the same thing, as well as thank him for an
> enlightenment. I have made a mental note. So we now know that Toshiba,
> Lenovo, H-P (and Compaq), and Dell were all victims of the gruelsome
> contract and the iron first.

Hmmmm.  Here's what I found:

   http://www.crn.com/sections/infrastructure/infrastructure.jhtml?articleId=188701277
   Lenovo To Shun Linux

   By Edward F. Moltzen, CRN
   5:49 PM EST Fri. Jun. 02, 2006

   Lenovo to Load Linux on ThinkPad Laptop
   By John G. Spooner
   August 4, 2006

   http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-48NT8D.html
   Linux for Personal Systems
   Last modified:  2007-01-25

That one is a good resource, by the way.  The next laptop I look into
will be a ThinkPad.  To HELL with DELL, especially since they are pretty
expensive on the dual-core end.

   http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129470-c,linux/article.html
   Dell, Lenovo Sell Windows-free Laptops
   Vendors quietly sell laptops without the preloaded Microsoft Windows
   OS to Linux fans who know where to shop.
   Don Marti, Network World
   Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:00 PM PST

Note the word "quietly".  Also note:

   Customers aren't saving money by passing up the OS license, though.
   "The Dell price is identical. Windows or nothing, it is exactly the
   same to the penny," Durey says. "I've actually seen one-time
   discounts on the Windows side that are not reflected on the Linux
   side for a week, so you could end up getting the Windows ones
   cheaper," he adds.

   Lenovo, however, passes on a savings of about US$40 to customers who
   order ThinkPads without the Microsoft license, Durey says.

To HELL with DELL.