Re: Roy's Linux Powered Testicles Have Been Located !!

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 19:14:19 -0800, roys.testicles wrote:

SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
--------------------------

1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    A: That depends on what distro you try. I find that most distros
       are fairly easy to install, but I've been doing this for a
       while (7+ years). Distros range from easy to hard. You should
       find Ubuntu quite easy for the novice linux user. I can't
       say I'd recommend Gentoo to a first time Linux user.

1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
    A: Well.... what do you want to do? Productivity applications are
       installed right out of the box, as are internet applications.
       If you don't find an application you want, there is an easy to
       use software installer. This all assumes you've installed a
       distribution targeted at the desktop.

1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
       installation freezes or just stops?
    A: It happens to me so rarely, I've forgotten. There is a known
       bug with Fedora Core and ATI Video chipsets. I've had to use
       text mode install to work around it.

1.4 Q: What's the deal?!  I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
       hard drive space!
    A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of applications. If you
       find that there are too many, you can always uninstall some using
       the utility. Alternatively,  you can most likely find a distro
       that is slimmer on the install.

SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
---------------------------

2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    A: They aren't really cryptic, they just look like it to the untrained
       eye. Don't worry about it. You probably won't need to ever touch
       them directly as most distributions have gui-based configuration
       front-end for most, if not all, of these files.

2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
       these programs telling me to do them?  Arggg!!
    A: You won't need to worry about them. These are command line
       applications. You shouldn't need to do anything outside of
       the GUI.

SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
----------------------------

3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    A: You can use the installer that comes with your distribution.

3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
       is that?
    A: Most likely the application needs a library that isn't currently
       installed. This happens sometimes. How to resolve it does depend
       on the distribution you are using. If you can, find an installer
       that has been built "statically" (this means the libraries the
       application needs had been built in).

3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
       what is a makefile?
    A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
       under Linux.  When the question above fails, you can always build
       it yourself.  The advantage is that it works most of the time. But
       Unless you have a certain level of experience, you may find this
       to be a difficult process as you will need to download header
       files. It can frustrate even the most experienced users, but is
       very rewarding.

3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    A: Most applications for Linux are available on the Web, for free or
       for fee.

SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
---------------------------

4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    A: I'm sorry you find it so slow. Unlike other operating systems which
       were designed with a single user in mind, Linux is modeled after
       Unix and BSD technology which was designed with multiple users in
       mind. This means that the system assumes that you are not the only
       person using the system and allocates resources accordingly. The
       developers have made a lot of progress in this area and Linux is
       far more responsive than it used to be, but like anything, it
       could always be improved. Personally, I find that Linux is just as
       responsive as other systems.

SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
--------------------------

5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
       governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically. You
       can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something as ugly
       as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see some varying UI
       style in Linux. Gnome and KDE are the two most popular and they
       share a similar look and feel, so you shouldn't have too many
       problems moving from one to another.

5.2 Q: Should I buy a Linux distribution?
    A: You can if you want. Most are offered for free. However, when you
       find one that you like, you should donate something. It can be
       money, hardware or if you like, your time/services.

SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
-----------------------------

6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    A: This is an acronym for Read The F***ing Manual (or if you prefer,
       'Read The Fine Manual'). Sometimes people ask questions that have
        been asked ad nauseum and are told to RTFM. People sometimes get
        a bit testy when asked the same question over and over again.
        We're only human.

6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when using Linux?
    A: Well, they don't. They just believe they are using a better
       Operating System. However, some advocates of certain proprietary
       OSes act like idiots and are thusly insulted.

SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY

7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
       if it isn't?
    A: No system is perfect. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say that.
       If anyone does, just call them on it. And remember, Linux may not
       be perfect, but it's more perfect than some other operating
       systems.

7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
       questions linux?
    A: Often, some advocates of certain proprietary operating systems
       ask stupid questions, or create straw man situations, intending to
       goad a response. They are then, justifiably, called a troll.

7.3 Q: Why does everyone <PLONK> you if you question Linux?
    A: It may seem that way. Regular readers/posters to this group have
       developed an ability to detect trolls and will use <PLONK> to
       indicate to the world (and the troll) that they are no longer
       reading their posts. This often causes the troll to "morph" to a
       new name, and the process starts all over again.