Re: [News] OneCare (Wanker) is a Model Example of Microsoft Software

  • Subject: Re: [News] OneCare (Wanker) is a Model Example of Microsoft Software
  • From: Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:58:01 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:20:14 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

>> Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
>>| users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
>>| The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
>>| cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
>>| e-mail was laden with a virus.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6168629.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
>>

> This embarrassing news just keeps coming.

It is kind of interesting, isn't it?

Vista is here!  -- Four years late.
Vista is secure!  -- But needs AV apps and other hand-holding.
We have OneCare!  -- That's insecure itself.
But it protects you!  -- Worse than any other such tool.

Is there *any* part of Vista they got right?  For the users, I mean;
whether they got the DRM right is something the media houses might care
about, but not really something I suspect most users really want.

--
Do not contact me at kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxxxx