Re: [News] Microsoft Confirms Xbox Live Accounts Are Being Stolen

__/ [ Mike ] on Monday 19 March 2007 13:22 \__

http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2007-March/053032.html

>>> These boxes can link into users computers, so you would have to
>>> assume until proven otherwise that the user's PC is also open to
>>> these hackers.
>>>
>>> There are credit card details involved in this too, you enter the
>>> credit card info and then it is used automatically if you buy
>>> anything like games or music.
>>>
>>> Surely the thing for MS to do is shut it down and fix it, have it
>>> investigated so that they can recommend action for their users.
>>>
>>> But we all know that MS will do bugger all. I would bet my left sock
>>> on that. This is another case that shows that such things must be
>>> taken out of the hands of Microsoft, they continue to put users and
>>> businesses at risk and quite frankly MS haven't the faintest idea of
>>> how to deal with situations like this or security in general, they
>>> don't give a toss about their users.
>>>
>>> Why does this make me angry? Because the Xbox360 I bought for the
>>> kids, I recently gave to a young man stuck in a wheel chair, can't
>>> move much without assistance, he is a little on the slow side. So
>>> the Xbox360 was a present he was over the moon with, he did the
>>> online signup and I know his has bought some bits and pieces. It
>>> doesn't feel so great knowing I gave him that Xbox and by doing so I
>>> may have exposed His credit card to hackers because of MS's totally
>>> naff skills in developement and security.
>>
>> I thought you bought him (was it her?) a Nintendo Wii. Now I know
>> who's buying all the gifts in the family...
>>
>> I can't help wondering if Microsoft is targetted here just because
>> it's Microsoft. They often like to use this as an excuse and I find
>> it hard to believe that they can't employ developers with background
>> in security. That said, I recently read an article which explains
>> that not languages like PHP are to blame, but rather the flawed
>> computer education (or background of developers who can use
>> high-level languages and can therefor hop onto the programming
>> bandwagon quite quickly).
>>
>> There's this popular dicussion about ease of use (convenience) and
>> security, which require balancing. But there's also this other
>> parallel issue which is ease of programming (or competence) and
>> security. Too much abstraction leads to obscurity and blissful
>> ignorance that is dangerous.
>
> No press sites have picked up on this yet. Are you sure accounts are being
> stolen?

I have seen it in a couple of places so far. Given what we have seen in XBox
360 support nightmares (people yell out while press ignores and Microsoft
keeps it secret), I know what I would rather believe. Only a month or so ago
the BBC decided to actually say something about the XBox. It's no secret
that the press is afraid of Microsoft and avoids criticising it, where
possible (see links at the bottom).

Some links below refer to secret XBox 360 failures:

Gamers Say Microsoft Understates Xbox Problems

,----[ Quote ]
| An insider from Electronic Arts, Inc. is saying that the failure rate
| of Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming console is actually ten times higher than
| what Microsoft spokespeople have admitted.
|
| Game Daily BIZ, a gaming industry publication, reported that the
| anonymous source tallied that of the 300 consoles EA has received,
| 30-50 percent of them have failed.
`----

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/xbox_gamers02.html

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against MS For Bricked 360s

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Gamespot, the suit seeks a minimum of $10 million in
| damages, depending on how MS decides to defend itself.
`----

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/law/class-action-lawsuit-filed-against-ms-for-bricked-360s-220250.php

Numerous Reports, November 30 Xbox 360 Update Is Bricking Consoles

,----[ Quote ]
| Some consoles are being bricked by Thursday's dashboard update.
| Issues range from freezing, red ring of death and VGA adapterm
| alfunction. Microsoft isn't acknowledging the issue and billing
| $140 for repairs.
`----

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Numerous_Reports_November_30_Xbox_360_Update_Is_Bricking_Consoles

Update brick your 360? Speak up

,----[ Quote ]
| Since yesterday's update, there are numerous reports about 360s
| being bricked. Some people suspect that this is being done by
| Microsoft intentionally to stop modders and hackers. Xbox Scene
| thinks it has more to do with certain combinations of hardware
| and firmware.
`----

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/01/update-brick-your-360-speak-up/

Autoupdate killed my 360!

,----[ Quote ]
| I was fine yesterday gaming with the VGA cable but after getting
| the autoupdate today, I get a black screen. Does Microsoft test
| these things? My connection to the TV didn't change yet its
| screwed. Thanks for nothing Microsoft.
`----

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=489979

The Secret Failures of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/2E6D9BB2-FE1B-4556-8389-67BD581FBCCC.html

Gamers Say Microsoft Understates Xbox Problems

,----[ Quote ]
| An insider from Electronic Arts, Inc. is saying that the failure rate
| of Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming console is actually ten times higher than
| what Microsoft spokespeople have admitted.
|
| Game Daily BIZ, a gaming industry publication, reported that the
| anonymous source tallied that of the 300 consoles EA has received,
| 30-50 percent of them have failed.
`----

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/xbox_gamers02.html

So my cousin from Microsoft called

,----[ Quote ]
| Erhmm... My cousin just called who works for Microsoft and was on the
| xbox 360 team. He said first generation xbox 360's are having a SERIOUS
| over heating issue and they might be recalled sometime next week. The
| recall is being considered because the overheating can cause a short,
| resulting in a fire.
`----

http://chris.instantspot.com/blog/index.cfm/2006/11/24/So-my-cousin-from-Microsoft-called

How Much is Too Much?

,----[ Summary ]
| Microsoft says it will stick with Xbox. But with years of heavy losses
| behind it, the pressure's on for the gaming division to make good
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/oct2006/id20061013_283856.htm?campaign_id=rss_topStories
http://tinyurl.com/yxdr4j

Microsoft stoic despite massive losses

,----[ Quote ]
| If you were to judge by the PR rhetoric, you'd think the 360 was
| an unstoppable commercial juggernaut. As usual though, PR lies.
`----

http://www.gamerscan.com/articles/06/10/09/microsofts.massive.losses/

Xbox Live Outages All Over US?

,----[ Quote ]
| In any case the outages do not seem to affect everyone although I can
| say 2old2play has already received 6 emails, 5 PMs, and several blog
| posts about the outages. One such blogger was told by a service rep that
| he was "experiencing a temporary service outage bubble in his area."
| Apparently the rep had received several similar Xbox Live error codes
| that day, but could not say why. 2old2play is currently trying to contact
| Microsoft for a comment and we'll update this page as we receive word.
`----

http://www.2old2play.com/News/Xbox_Live_Outages_All_Over_US_

Problems with the VOD Marketplace:

http://forums.xbox.com/8344527/ShowPost.aspx
http://irsonic.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A8B5EFD3F889BC00!116.entry

Xbox 360: The One Year Retrospective

,----[ Quote ]
| How has Microsoft's early bird console performed? Where have we come
| in one year's time? IGN takes a look back.
`----

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/747/747459p1.html

XBox 360 cracked

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the new patch is said to boot 'Xtreme' XBox 1 and 360 backups, works
| with originals, and will boot 'all' XBox 1 discs on the 360. If it works
| as advertised, it is quite the coup, but it may turn out to be a near
| miss like the last few...
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31703

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Another Xbox Support Nightmare

,----[ Quote ]
| We seem to be receiving an increasing number of horror stories from
| Xbox 360 owners who have had to call Microsoft's Bangalore-based
| tech support call center. When your reason for calling is a
| bricked console, one would think it would be a painless and
| quick procedure to get the thing replaced or repaired.
| Apparently not the case, according to Brent from Consumerist.com
`----

http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10875/

Gears of War disc errors - why the hell is no one covering this?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, we're all just 'unlucky' Mark? Thanks for that. I'm happy for you
| and your console, but what about us? Where are we supposed to turn to
| for help and support? Microsoft wasn't very helpful (ref #102-379-2964)
| any of the times I've called them (I think it's up to three now for the
| same issue - perhaps I'll call again today and check on an update).
|
| All I know is that if I see that dreaded error message again on my new
| 360 I am going to go absolutely ballistic!!!
`----

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7626298&publicUserId=5551391

Xbox 360s Still Dying, Customer Service Still Crap

,----[ Quote ]
| "They'll handle everything, they're great. They'll even pay for shipping
| and Fed-Ex it for you. That's what they did for my systems (yes, plural)
| when they died."
`----

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/xbox-360s-still-dying-customer-service-still-crap-222843.php

On media:

What happened to the guts?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of one thing I am fairly certain. Microsoft all but eliminated
| mainstream software competition. As a result, Microsoft became
| the primary source of advertising revenue for mainstream publications.
| You don't bite the hand that feeds you. So instead of publishing
| issues calling for a worldwide boycott of Vista because it focuses
| more on what you can't do than what you can do, you see special
| editions praising Vista as the greatest advancement in computing
| since Windows 95. Granted we all know that Windows 95 was a dog
| from day one, but by the 90s, the mainstream press had already
| become rampant with Microsoft sycophants and they pushed Windows
| 95 like it was the second coming.
|
| [...]
|
| In short, I'd love to see a mainstream publication become an
| advocate for the consumer once again.
|
| As noted above, there are exceptions, including Linux Journal,
| most other FOSS-centered publications and even The Register.
| But we're the little guys.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000173

http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.

                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
  4:20am  up 8 days 12:23,  8 users,  load average: 1.91, 1.43, 1.19