[News] Op-ed: Linux Distros Moving Toward Cooperation; The Microkernel O/S (MINIX) Still Evolving

A New Open Source Model?

,----[ Quote ]
| While we aren't going to see a joining of distros, we are seeing a new
| open source cooperative model. For myself, I think this is more
| significant. I don't believe this model will catch on with the
| big players such as Red Hat, openSUSE, or Mandriva, but perhaps it
| should. It's amazing the strides made in Linux and open source
| software development the last 5 years, but where would we be if
| this model were used more? We may never know the full extent of the
| possibilities, but we will see how two competing distros can work
| together for the benefit of both and their community of users. This
| level of humility and altruism is rare in today's world and I hope
| everyone will take a moment to note the event. Perhaps, this new
| cooperative agreement could be the spark of a whole new open
| source paradigm.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070319#review

Another forgotten 'distro':

MINIX: what is it, and why is it still relevant?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/minix