Re: [News] European Patent Office on Software Patent Ambiguity

> EPO says UK patent law is clear enough
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Article 52, clause 2, outlines items that do not qualify for
>| patent protection, under European and UK law, and includes
>| "schemes, rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing
>| games or doing business, and programs for computers".
>|
>| Exactly how this clause should be interpreted has been extremely
>| contentious, with passionate arguments on both sides of the debate.
>| Some fear that too broad an interpretation could lead to US-style
>| software idea patents being granted in the UK. Others are
>| concerned that if it is interpreted too narrowly, it will
>| discourage innovation in the UK.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/19/epo_says_no/

There doesn't seem to be all that much ambiguity here - I think you need
to be a professional patent attorney to spot that.  Indeed, it clearly
states "programmes for computers" as not qualifying for patent
protection.  How clear do you need to be?