Re: [News] Dell Linux Misconceptions - Ordinary Users Do Request Linux

B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Monday 19 March 2007 19:35 Mark Kent wrote:
>

>> Ahh, don't underestimate Microsoft.  They will still claim a Windows
>> install for every PC sold, because they'll claim that the number of
>> linux pre-installs is so small that the numbers can be ignored.  You
>> wait - Mr Weisgerber is lining up his malodorous maltruths as we speak.
>> I do wonder how these people sleep at night.
>
> I'm sorry Mark, but I really must contradict you on this point.
>
> You are trying to show that "Microsoft has 100% of the market".
> That is (imo) a gross underestimate.
> When one considers the number of licences that cannot be transferred, the
> number of machines bought with Windows but over-written by Linux etc, and
> the number of machines bought with a basic OS but later over-written with a
> corporate (licensed) image, the figure must be at *least* 120%.
> Go and wash your mouth out:-)
>
> (On your "so so small that the numbers can be ignored" btw, that was true of
> Firefox about 3 years ago, and see how right he was!)

Quite right, OM, naturally - I think my mistake was to only consider
new sales - I completely forgot to consider all those older copies of
windows and dos out there.  Obviously, it should have been at least
200, 300 or even 400% plus of the combined desktop and landfill market,
and rising fast (the landfill, and the share).