Re: Linux Eye Candy Gets Praise and Exposure in Popular Press

  • Subject: Re: Linux Eye Candy Gets Praise and Exposure in Popular Press
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 Mar 2007 07:44:17 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mar 19, 7:52 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Bring on the bling with Beryl: a look at a new Linux window manager
>
> Ubuntu 6.10 with XGL & Kiba-Dock
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | After some modifications, here's a video of my Ubuntu 6.10
> | desktop with Beryl XGL and Kiba-Dock.
> `----
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y

Watching your video, I tried to imagine it with Tocata Fugue in D-
minor playing in the background.
That would be a nice Linux "commercial".

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Novell producing any national
television commercials, but on the other hand, HP might want to
showcase one of their high-end PCs running Linux/Beryl/XGL/ and Kiba-
Dock - since they actually publsh which machines support Linux and
which don't.

I have a Z61p, which I purchased for it's Linux compatibility.
Unfortunately, I got the Atheros A/B/G/N card (AR5218), which hasn't
been ported to Linux yet.  I had to buy an external WG511 card, which
uses the AR5214 chipset, and works perfectly.  It would have been nice
if Lennovo would have mentioned which peripherals were "linux ready"
on their "build your own" web site.  I might have selected the better
supported Intel card.

Atheros says they'll have Linux support for the AR5218 chip set "any
day now".  They just have to wait for the one  guy who codes the
parameters between the madwifi engine and the chipset to finish the
configuration file.  This is the same chip set that runs on the new
Mac iBooks.