Re: [News] 10 Drawbacks of Using Windows Vista

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 18 March 2007 23:59 \__

> On Sunday 18 March 2007 15:36 amicus_curious wrote:
>
>> Too late for that, I would say.  Over 25 million copies of Vista already
>> in circulation and more are shipping at a rate of 200 million copies per
>> year.
>
> Copies in circulation, or copies shipped, is neither here nor there, is it?
> Do we have any figures for number in use?

For someone who is in academia (Weisgerber), this tendency to just throw
'fast facts' without backing bothers the mind.

Survey: Vista Used Less than 1 percent of PCs

,----[ Quot
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129525/article.html

> It seems to me that very few Vista installations are going to be done on
> anything other than a new PC.  What's the rate at which new PCs are
> selling?

People are aware of the hidden cost (Basic is too little; DRM is a b*tch;
memory/CPU capacity is an issue as well). They also see their friends, whose
computer either runs a candyless VIsta or Beryl/XGL. And a lot of hardware
and software (including games) do not work. Some OEMs still refuse to load
Vista, so the one doing the wishful thinking here is Weisgerber.

PC Makers Hedge on Vista Effect

,----[ Quote ]
| PC makers love to talk about the excitement surrounding Microsoft's
| new operating system. But their actions tell a slightly different
| story.
|
| More than a month after Vista's long-awaited release, some PC
| makers appear in no hurry to retire from their product catalog
| computers running the old Windows XP.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/businessnews/10344543.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
http://tinyurl.com/33azf7

People whose old printer refused to work otherwise return the PC and ask for
a refund. Same on the software side of things...

> The estimates that I've seen of "the first 12 months of Vista" were about
> half the figure that you are quoting.

He relies on no concrete data, let alone real-world facts.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men