Re: Businesses Successfully Lobby to Shut Down Free Content

On Mar 16, 10:22 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> BBC to suspend its education Web site
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The BBC will suspend its $289 million children's education Web site,
> | BBC Jam, following complaints made to the European Commission that
> | the site unfairly effects the commercial market for such content.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-6167894.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-...
>
> This is amazing. BBC being tax-funded aside, you can't help but wonder this:
>
> The Land of "Nothing for free"
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I was down there to give a talk on "Open Source Business Models"
> | for a conference. Also represented were entertainment industry
> | lawyers, "Big Telecom" management, and a smattering of software
> | people. Microsoft was there of course. You can't hold a church
> | fete with "Open Source" on the banner these days without Microsoft
> | turning up and requesting representation. At least we also had
> | Bruce Perens on our side to help make up the balance. The venue
> | eas an unbelievably expensive hotel. Even though I was on
> | expenses I balked at asking the company to pay for a room
> | there and found something cheaper (not by much) a few miles
> | down the road.
> `----
>
> http://samba.org/samba/news/articles/low_point/column11.html

Who is surprised at this? I don't think anyone really. What surprises
me is that tech and politics have clashed and will continue to do so
in the future. Looking back at history, it actually shouldn't be
surprising at all - so my face is a little bit red! Anyway - this is
the harsh reality of neo-liberalism, everything is for sale and the
elites run the show.

Resistance? Hell thats easy - keep doing exactly what we are doing,
and in anyway way we see fit - be part of the open source community~!

'nuff said.