Re: Microsoft's Virtualisation Technology Falls Behind, Snubs Linux

On Mar 16, 4:25 am, Kier <val...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:54:52 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
> > Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> >> [But they are going to bundle it with the O/S, so who needs better
> >> quality...]
>
> >> Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 lags behind competition
>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >> `----
>
> >>http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/10/0953255&from=rss
>
> > Cue Hovsepian/Novell to explain why this is really good for a customer...
>
> The article has some of positive things to say, along with the negative.
> The bugbears are very slow installation of Linux OSen (Live CDs worked
> well), and the lack of support for USB key storage devices, an obvious
> drawback when saving one's work, drag and drop between guest and host OS
> not being possible.
>
> --
> Kier- Hide quoted text -

Actually, it is slow installing any OS.  Once installed, everything is
fine - but even windows nt took a couple of hours to install.  I don't
usually drag and drop between OS's, but it does work smother with the
mouse and keyboard capture when running a windows os.  Usually I just
use a shared folder on the host OS and access it using samba on
linux.  Oh, and PCLinux OS doesn't work on VPC either (found out last
night - just for kicks) - it has the same problem as Ubuntu.

The major problem with VPC is is the lack of USB support.  That's the
real show stopper for me.  It's fine with Windows NT4 - the OS dosen't
support USB anyway, but it sucks for anything modern :)  To be honest
the only advantage that VPC has over vmplayer is that you can actually
create and configure the vm images.  To use vmplayer, I have to jump
through a couple of hoops to get a working vm :)

--
Tom Shelton