Re: [News] BusinessWeek Says Windows Vista is "Slow and Dangerous"

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 16 March 2007 09:49 \__

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2007/tc20070315_101834.htm

>> This shows that adding layers to an inherently insecure system just won't
>> work. And then you have Pfeiffer's research in France. It showed that
>> Vista increases 'friction' in usability. The interface decreases
>> productivity, which makes it a step backwards (in favour of eye candy).
>
> This point has been noted and debated in this group on and off for years,
> however, Vista is probably the first time when the problem has been truly
> visible to external users.  Previously, the excitement of moving to a new
> generation of hardware, memory, disk and processor overcame the objections
> to increased bloat and slower OS, but now, with the green agenda being
> recognised as essential to our survival by *almost* the whole planet,
> there is genuine resistance to shelling out more cash for hardware in
> order to do the same thing as before.  Further, Vista is probably the
> first time that there has been no practical gain to the user from an
> OS upgrade by Microsoft (assuming that most people who moved to XP did
> so from Win98SE or WinME or perhaps WIN95OSR2 - those who moved from
> Win2k/nt5 saw a drop in performance, but it wasn't all that huge).
>
> Furthermore, it is now surely quite clear to all observers and
> commentators that even given an additional 4 years of development by
> the world's largest software house, they *cannot* produce a product
> which is superior to Linux in terms of security, reliability, usability,
> flexibility, hardware support, etc. etc.

I have just gone through plenty of comments from Netscape (hundreds of
procrastinated E-mails) and it seems to align with what we say/hear in this
biased newsgroup. People who use Vista are appalled and want to just use
older versions. It's more like learning _cope with_ Vista, rather than enjoy
it.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
roy      pts/4                         Fri Mar 16 07:46   still logged in