Re: [News] BusinessWeek Says Windows Vista is "Slow and Dangerous"

> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 16 March 2007 09:49 \__

>>> Vista: Slow and Dangerous
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2007/tc20070315_101834.htm
>>>
>>> This shows that adding layers to an inherently insecure system just won't
>>> work. And then you have Pfeiffer's research in France. It showed that
>>> Vista increases 'friction' in usability. The interface decreases
>>> productivity, which makes it a step backwards (in favour of eye candy).
>>
>> This point has been noted and debated in this group on and off for years,
>> however, Vista is probably the first time when the problem has been truly
>> visible to external users.  Previously, the excitement of moving to a new
>> generation of hardware, memory, disk and processor overcame the objections
>> to increased bloat and slower OS, but now, with the green agenda being
>> recognised as essential to our survival by *almost* the whole planet,
>> there is genuine resistance to shelling out more cash for hardware in
>> order to do the same thing as before.  Further, Vista is probably the
>> first time that there has been no practical gain to the user from an
>> OS upgrade by Microsoft (assuming that most people who moved to XP did
>> so from Win98SE or WinME or perhaps WIN95OSR2 - those who moved from
>> Win2k/nt5 saw a drop in performance, but it wasn't all that huge).
>>
>> Furthermore, it is now surely quite clear to all observers and
>> commentators that even given an additional 4 years of development by
>> the world's largest software house, they *cannot* produce a product
>> which is superior to Linux in terms of security, reliability, usability,
>> flexibility, hardware support, etc. etc.
>
> I have just gone through plenty of comments from Netscape (hundreds of
> procrastinated E-mails) and it seems to align with what we say/hear in this
> biased newsgroup. People who use Vista are appalled and want to just use
> older versions. It's more like learning _cope with_ Vista, rather than enjoy
> it.

When your customers have having to put up with you, then it really has
all gone wrong.  As soon as there is a viable alternative from their
point of view, they will jump.  Linux has been viable for years,
however, this is the first time that Linux has continued to improve at
the same time as Windows has significantly and clearly declined in
pretty much every area which matters to users.

No amount of marketing is going to help this one.