Re: [News] SUSE Linux Will Have Virtuozzo Preloaded

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 16 March 2007 08:24 \__

http://news.com.com/SWsoft+in+virtualization+pact+with+Novell/2100-7339_3-6167416.html

>>> Presumably they'll be out there claiming that Windows is less expensive
>>> than Linux, too.
>>

>> Remember Microsoft's deal with XenSource? They try to derail their Linux
>> agenda, IMHO. Xen is now being developed in Redmind. I think that's
>> how/why OpenVZ was born. Thank goodnesss it was Open Source, but what
>> about all the volunteers who helped Xen?
>>

> I'm sure that Microsoft will continue trying to kill key open-source
> projects in this way.  As has been said, the GPL prevents this from
> having total success, but even so, it is surely an irritating thing.

Mozilla/Firefox is a victim as well. Let's not forget Oracle. This morning I
posted this dou:

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle acquired Berkeley DB's originator, Sleepycat, in February
| 2006, provoking speculation that it was moving to close down
| some of the open source competition that was eating at its market
| share. Instead, Oracle has provided a commercially licensed version
| alongside the open source project.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/03/15/222420/oracle-drives-rise-of-open-source-embedded-database.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2a35nd