Re: [News] Add Romania to List Of $100 Linux Laptop Countries

> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 15 March 2007 16:25 \__

>>> Romania bites the OLPC bait!
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2590&from=rss
>>>

>> It's quite fascinating seeing how the Microsoft campaign against OLPC
>> still runs, seems to be getting ever more aggressive, and yet, like King
>> Cnut, will not be able to stop the tide coming in.
>>
>> That article is quite amusing in its attempts to spin and fud, though.
>
> No, the author is a Linux Guru and an icon in the Linux world. He's from
> Romania, but you can truly say that he's cosmopolitan. He has always been a
> critic of this project, ...

I've yet to see a truly valid criticism raised.  The article seemed to
have a lot of fud-points, but I couldn't really see anything of value in
terms of criticism.

> ... but _DO BEAR IN MIND_ that the guy always rants,
> never praises. His reviews concentrate on the negatives, which is good if
> you ever want to improve (my Supervisor is like that as well).

So long as you agree with the criticisms, of course...

> It is most fascinating that _even_ in a country where piracy is so prevalent,
> Linux remains so desirable. They want to change their ways.

I cannot see any national government wishing to support copyright
violation (piracy is attacking ships at sea!), so if they can legitimately
provide computing capability into schools in such a way that copying of
software stops, then that is an excellent thing.  There is no wonder that
Microsoft have been fighting this, though - as they've said many times,
they prefer people to make illegitimate copies of /their/ software and
"collect later".  OLPC drives a huge stake through the heart of that
particular drug-dealer distribution philosophy.