Re: Linux BIOS

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride
<mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:00:59 -0400
<qqhec4xvmi.ln2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ ed ] on Sunday 11 March 2007 18:13 \__

>>> Things like in car mp3 are good like this.
>>
>> The whole idea of in-car PCs (or Wi-fi in the case of Microsoft-Ford) is
>> wasteful. Why integrate and tie an appliance to just one place when the
>> same appliance is portable and affordable? PDAs come to mind.
>>

> The COOL FACTOR isn't the same with PDA'a or IPOD's...

I dunno; some cars are already offering iPod plugins as
an option.  It would not be too much of a stretch to put
something in the car that requires a compute-engine key;
this key would look much like a PDA/mobile (or might even
*be* a standardized PDA/mobile, which could double as a
multipurpose key).  The car would refuse to start without
the PDA/mobile, and while running the PDA/mobile would
show critical information not already covered by the
display of such things as speed, tach, fuel level, etc.
High-end autos might even replace the standard dials
with a cheap, rugged LCD display of some sort, powered by
the car's electricity but driven by the PDA/mobile as an
external video screen.

Additional advantages include such things as hands-free
speaking (dialing, if the PDA/mobile is on the steering
wheel, might still require someone to lift one finger --
keeping the other hand on the steering wheel -- and push
on-screen buttons or some such), as the unit could
plug into the car's amplifier.

The drawbacks are obvious if the PDA/mobile, or software
thereon, is damaged or lost.

http://www.dashpc.com/

shows a system that is an indicator system, not a control
system, as far as the car's electronics are concerned,
but I for one don't see why one couldn't tweak it, if
it's useful (this is already a tweak to begin with, and
it's pretty cool-looking; the main problem is that the
actual computer unit resides in the trunk).

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
fortune: not found