Re: [News] Linux Becoming Big on Blade Servers

> HP keeps its Linux edge with BladeSystem
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| When you look at Linux on the high end, on the mainframe, Linux is
>| on 20% or so of the servers going out the door today. Yet when you
>| look to the blade server, [Linux] is half the market at roughly 40%
>| to 50%. There is just this affinity for Linux and the blade together
>| in a lot of high-performance computing [HPC] environments.
> `----
>
> http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1247040,00.html?track=sy184
> http://tinyurl.com/2euozw

The numbers just keep getting more convincing.  The Blade Server market
is one of the few which are able to provide useful stats, since most
blades are not "pre-installed" with Windows, rather, they get whatever
the customer wants on them.  40% to 50% of that market is a sound
achievement, particularly when you consider that in many cases, blade
servers are used to consolidate multiple stand-alone machines using
virtualisation layers, which tends to reduce the number of installed
instances anyway.

I think we can expect to see these numbers continuing to look better for
the linux world.