Re: [News] WIntel Top Execs Deleted E-mails That Reveal Corruption?

[snips]

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 04:06:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> We didn't delete anything!  We just ran OneCare!

> I feel a bit guilty here because my sister's boyfriend works at Intel.
> The crime is at the top levels though, so the criticism addresses
> corporate culture only. The others are just troops "following orders".

Few years back I worked for a company where we got bonuses if we met our
sales targets.  Us peons got bonuses on the order of $5,000, but the big
boys got real money.

So we're heading towards the end of the sales period and there's an order
for umpteen thousand units.  Voila!  Made the quota!

As they're calculating the bonus payments, someone notices that while
there's an order for all these extra units, there are something like
50,000 units in the warehouse with no buyer attached: someone had cooked
the books and created a "sale" out of whole cloth, just to get the bonus.

We lost, IIRC, three top execs over that.  The company owner said heads
would roll and they did.  However, he also decided that since the peons
didn't do this, they should still get the bonuses.  Nice. :)

Corporate shenanigans are nothing new.  They usually start at the top, but
as their case shows, not always right at the top.  And you can't really
blame the peons for, as you say, simply following orders.  If the brass
wants feature X, they get feature X, or they get you your walking papers
and get themselves a developer who will provide it.

--
Do not contact me at kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxxxx