Re: [News] WIntel Top Execs Deleted E-mails That Reveal Corruption?

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Tuesday 13 March 2007 23:26 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:43:20 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
>> | have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
>> | e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
>> | larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
>> | onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
>> | rather lax document retention policy.
>
> We didn't delete anything!  We just ran OneCare!

It was actually the excuse used by some British businesses (or was it
Enron/WorldCom?), IIRC. They blamed the software for poor retention or
incompleteness of mail acrhies. When the software is not loss-proof, there
are many legal implications.

In last night's news it turned out that even the CEO 'lost' some mail. I
wonder if they are getting any work done at Intel these days. I bet they all
just sit down at their office going through thousands of messages and
deleting selectively.

I feel a bit guilty here because my sister's boyfriend works at Intel. The
crime is at the top levels though, so the criticism addresses corporate
culture only. The others are just troops "following orders". The same can be
said about the vast majority of people who work at Microsoft. They just obey
what managers instruct them to do... and the lack of ethics propagates from
the top to the bottom. For example,Jim Allchin may sent out an E-mail
calling for proprietary extensions to be added to IE... then the subordinate
managers must conform with the request of the boss, not question it. They
all share the same goals which is to make the monopoly last and secure their
jobs. Lacking laws and regulation, what's to stop them? The US IT indutry is
f***ed.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | What is all that lipstick in XP's close button?
  4:00am  up 2 days 12:03,  9 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.39, 0.51