Re: [News] Operating System Predictions for the Next Couple of Years

  • Subject: Re: [News] Operating System Predictions for the Next Couple of Years
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:42:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 12 March 2007 07:03 \__

>>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 11 March 2007 20:33 \__

>>> I wonder if they hid their intentions or simply had a change of mind. At
>>> the time (when I blogged it), Google cooperated with OpenOffice quite
>>> closely and even sent its engineers over.
>>>

>> Maybe their intentions were not fully determined at that time, but I'd
>> say for sure that if they're getting deeply involved in a project like
>> openoffice, it's not for the good of their health...
>
> Consider this:
>
> Google: Media Play or IT Investment?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| In my opinion (as well as others'), its office productivity software
>| lacks the breadth and width of the market leader. Schmidt hinted at
>| Google's preference for open source software [OSS] so maybe it can
>| come up with some better way parlaying Sun's OpenOffice than last
>| year's PRware (OpenOffice still falls short of Microsoft's
>| ubiquitous products).
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070307/28878_id.html?.v=2
>
> Yesterday I saw a blog item suggesting that Google should buy OpenOffice (if
> that's possible at all). I think they could get the best of both worlds...
> Web-based and Open Source software, of which they have been doing a lot
> recently (usuaully proprietary, quite sadly). I don't think they'll ever do
> this though. OpenOffice weakens the cash cow of Google's big rival and foe
> (Yahoo aside). They could assist OOo without ownership. They have helped
> Firefox by promoting it in their SERPs.

I cannot see a day returning where there is value in applications such
as OpenOffice.  Microsoft know very well that the game is up, and are
desperately trying to squeeze another round of lock-in from their
customers, but as you can see from the general feedback, nobody is
impressed this time.

Google are doing fine by offering web-hosted applications - they get the
hits for their advertising revenues, and have enough USP/mindshare to
draw in the customers.  Conversely, Microsoft's awful reputation is
getting in the way of any other successes - perhaps they need to split
themselves up, rebrand the good looking bits and give them a chance of
success on their own.  A Microsoft search engine without the MS logo all
over it might be more successful, say.