Re: [News] Microsoft Tries to Abolish Superior Standard to Gain Control Over People's Photos

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 12 March 2007 07:30 \__

>> JPEG2000 VS HD PHOTO
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Jpeg 2000 looks better at the same file size.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/stratovarious/417198416/
>
> Looking at the full sized picture, there do appear to be anomalies in
> the HD Photo version (artefacts in the hair, and blurring on the
> temple). How reliable the source is, or whether this was a bad
> conversion, I don't know.
>
> On paper (excuse the pun) HD Photo would appear to have superior specs,
> but unless it's a truly open format then I'm not interested. Mere "no
> fee" clauses don't impress me. Freeware is not Open Source, and
> corporate IP is not Open Standards either, no matter how much hype they
> pump out to convince us otherwise.

They'll probably add DRM support (read: _Microsoft_ CSS/DRM) as an HD
'extension'.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it collapses" --Windows TCP
  8:05am  up  16:08,  8 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.64, 0.66