Re: [News] Microsoft Abuses Monopoly Power by Charging Access Royalties

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Abuses Monopoly Power by Charging Access Royalties
  • From: 7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:21:56 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The value of regulation in a monopoly market

> | Why did the EC order Microsoft to disclose its protocols to rivals?
> |
> | Because it had misused its monopoly position to illegally maintain a
> | dominant position in the market.
> |
> | In order to remedy that situation, the EC has an obligation to ensure
> | that the interoperability information is available to everyone at a
> | fair price.
> |
> | In order to do this, in my view, it cannot leave the market to decide
> | the value of Microsoft?s protocols (although a third party group could
> | be argued for).
> `----
>
> http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/03
the_value_of_re.html

The trouble with these kinds of arguments about charging
it that it will be extended to the OS itself.
This time however, it will be goverments setting charge
on monopoly OS as a separate tax based on needs to
reduce its usage and to allow a monopoly to gradually
loose its control.