Re: The Open Source Phone Just Makes Total Sense (PC World)

Reporter <TruckSafety@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 8:01 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> OpenMoko [Linux-based] makes total sense
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Open Source for mobile phones is not just cool, but necessary.
>> |
>> | Why do I say that? Because it stands to reason. First, "smart"
>> | phones and similar ones with PDA functionality cost a lot. You
>> | obviously want to be able to keep it going for a few years at
>> | least, and not dump that $1,500-$2,000 device simply because
>> | there's no choice.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/techsploder/2007/03/openmoko_makes...http://tinyurl.com/yol5ar
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> Forget iPhone, hail OpenMoko, the true revolution
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | ...I would rather wait for OpenMoko to become available for purchase
>> | than shell out high bucks for iPhone. Just like with any Apple
>> | product, it is like an awesome looking golden cage. I always
>> | preferred freedom to control my own digital devices than to be
>> | mostly dependent on one vendor for everything.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.libervis.com/article/forget_iphone_hail_openmoko_the_true_...
>>
>> Open Phones with Open Moko
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | While the hardware may be similar, the strategy is a complete
>> | reversal of Apple's closed platform and proprietary hardware.
>> | OpenMoko is an open Linux-based mobile application development
>> | platform that's designed to help operators and developers build
>> | innovative applications on top of a basic phone platform.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/01/15/open_phone/
>>
>> Eight Great Linux Smartphones
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Grundig B700
>> | Gupp Phreedom
>> | Greenphone
>> | FIC Neo1973
>> | D-Link V-Click
>> | Moto ROKR E6
>> | ImCoSys
>> | Moto "MING" A1200
>> `----
>>
>> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/03/eight_great_lin.html
>>
>> FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
>> | alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-...
>

> Yeah the FCC will love you GEEX modifying the network access layer of
> your cell phones.  DUH! not.  Any of you dork-a-roonies ever hear of a
> slotted inbound control channel?  No one's gonna let you screw up and
> create a phone that hogs all the slots.  Stick to Pretty Good Word
> Processing software and Draw software that lacks a macro recorder.
> You can't wipe out entire communication systems in cities playing with
> [...]

I just forwarded this little rant of yours to a collegue of mine who
works for Verizon Wireless.  He's one of the monkeys that does disaster
recovery planning for their US cell network.

And he said this:

"That guy has no idea what hes talking about"

Ha ha, ha ha ha.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net