Re: [News] The Open Source Phone Just Makes Total Sense (PC World)

__/ [ Robert Parsonage ] on Sunday 11 March 2007 03:36 \__

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:01:35 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> OpenMoko [Linux-based] makes total sense
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Open Source for mobile phones is not just cool, but necessary.
>> |
>> | Why do I say that? Because it stands to reason. First, "smart"
>> | phones and similar ones with PDA functionality cost a lot. You
>> | obviously want to be able to keep it going for a few years at
>> | least, and not dump that $1,500-$2,000 device simply because
>> | there's no choice.
>> `----
>
> I got an HP mobile phone gratis from work. I gave it to my son, I am
> happy with my Sony Eriksson K800i, who was most impressed with the
> functionality. It was a MS 'smart phone' of course. The HP phone is
> all looks but is so unstable my son pleads me to swap it for the
> K800i.
>
> The moral is, avoid anything Microsoft. We know their OS is crap.
> Anything based on it is also crap. The mobile phone market is
> incredibly dynamic. Microsoft just can't compete. After all it took
> them 5+ years to update, putting it politely, Windows.

You mean "daughter", not "son".

Anyway, I can recall a C|Net interview with Steve Ballmer. Realising that
mobile phones are taking off (smartphones especially), combined with the
fact that Google is rumoured to work on its phone (think YouTube
integration), there's plenty of reason to worry. Analysts quite consistently
say that nobody can compete with Linux in that space. It's not just a matter
of cost, but functionality as well. So how did Ballmer respond? They grow,
but only in China/Asia.

Right, Steve-O. Just as you said that Linux is losing the battle for the
server... or recently said in another interview that the market share of
Linux is declining... reverse psychology at best, and lying at worst...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com