Re: [News] Is Sun Unable to Keep Up with Linux?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Is Sun Unable to Keep Up with Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:30:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Maverick ] on Saturday 10 March 2007 17:48 \__

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=C159E4BA-D143-49EC-83CD-2DBBB340D1CB

> I perceive that Sun was where DEC was back in 1991... they don't listen
> and can't see the huge tsnunami heading their way.

I think they /do/ see it, but they are not sure how to respond. They have
begun talking about GPLv3, they sponsor the FSF (the "hippies" to some), and
they are distributing free CDs. They bend backwards just to find a new
direction and they hope to cash in on services, just like Red Hat. But they
just can't attract so many developers, based on something they said when
they weighed their changes with GPLv3 (meeting minutes... maybe it was Simon
Phipps or the Jonathan  Schwartz blog).

Speaking of uncertainty, Microsoft is on the same boat but it has money (and
nerve) to respond using FUD and litigation. Oracle and other foresee a
similar future where Open Source keeps improving and improving until it
reaches parity (at the very least) with proprietary software. Linux and
Firefox, for example, are already ahead. Postgre/MySQL, on the other, still
have some maturing/catching-up to do, but they will get there.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
 12:22am  up 2 days  8:29,  5 users,  load average: 0.68, 0.54, 0.33